ANDERSON – The Anderson County Museum (ACM) Advisory Committee announced today that Moses Holland and Manley McClure will be inducted as the 2014 Hall of Fame Class. There will be a ceremony and reception held in their honor at the Museum onOctober 14th at 6 p.m. The reception and ceremony are free and open to the public.
“Since 2003 the Museum has inducted 28 deserving individuals into the ACM Hall of Fame in recognition of their accomplishments and contributions to Anderson County and South Carolina,” said Executive Director Beverly Childs. “Later in evening the Museum will also honor a special contemporary individual who continues to be instrumental in many aspects of the Museum.”
Reverend Moses Holland (1758-1829) was a leading citizen of Anderson County in its earliest days. Born on November 17, 1758 in Culpepper County, Virginia, Holland served in the Revolutionary War and was present at Cornwallis’s surrender at Yorktown in 1781.
Around 1787 Holland relocated to South Carolina with his wife Mary E. Barton and two young children. They settled by the Saluda River in what became the upper part of Anderson County.
A devout Christian, Holland became involved in the local Baptist ministry. In 1788 he founded Big Creek Baptist Church and was ordained as its first pastor. In 1803 Holland was one of the founders of the Saluda Baptist Association, an organization which still exists today. At his death on September 8, 1829 he was still the pastor of Big Creek Baptist Church and is buried in the church cemetery near the town of Williamston.
Moses Holland was greatly assisted in his work by having married two devout Christian women. His first wife Mary, with whom he had six children, died about 1812. He next married Miss Grace King, sister of another local Baptist minister. This union also produced six children. Anderson County is still home to many Holland descendants.
An innovative and forward-thinking agriculturist, Manley “Doc” McClure (1900-1977) contributed much to Anderson County and South Carolina. He began his farming career in 1921 as a tenant farmer in the Williford School Community. By 1953 his work had earned him the title of Master Farmer from Progressive Farmer magazine. He was honored for his ability to utilize his land to the best advantage, blending the scientific approach with good judgment.
McClure introduced many improvements in farming to our area that led to the transformation of the region’s agriculture. He practiced soil conservation and recognized the importance of diversification well before it became common practice. Although his farm had concentrated on row crops, he brought in purebred Hereford beef cattle and developed a year-round grazing program for them. This resulted in top-quality beef cattle and led to Anderson County becoming the leading producer of beef cattle in the state. McClure was co-founder of the Anderson County Cattlemen’s Association and a leader in promoting the development of commercial feed lots as well as a state-of-the art livestock marketing facility.
Agricultural education was important to Manley McClure as well. He served as chairman of Anderson County School District Five’s Agricultural Education Advisory Council and worked with the Anderson Young Farmers Association to begin the Tri-State Horse Show, which drew over 300 entries in its first year. Profits went to scholarships for area students studying agriculture. The FFA (Future Farmers Association) received his support on the local, state and national levels.
McClure was active in other community organizations and served as Elder at Central Presbyterian Church. A particular project he led was the restoration of the historic Providence United Methodist Church and cemetery in the Roberts Community.
Manley McClure married Sally Williford, a farmer’s daughter herself, and had one daughter. Mr. McClure passed away on July 18, 1977. The McClures’ grandson, Mac McGee, was an FFA scholar and earned a degree in animal science. He and his family continue to operate the family farm, now called the Double M Farm. They still specialize in grass-fed beef production.
Applications are now available for the 2015 Hall of Fame at the ACM or on the ACM Website http://www.andersoncountymuseum.org. The Anderson County Museum is at 202 East Greenville Street, in downtown Anderson. The Fred Whitten Gallery and ACM Gallery Emporium store hours are Tuesday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Wednesday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Research Room is open 1 to 4 p.m. on Thursdays and by appointment with the Curator. ACM is handicap accessible and admission is free. Donations are always welcome. For more information, contact the Museum at (864) 260-4737.