CUSCH members are encouraged to contact their state legislators to express their support for at least maintaining if not increasing funding for the South Carolina Department of Archives and History. Thanks to Mike Kohl for putting together the following “talking points” you might want to address:
· The Archives has been recognized nationally for decades as a leader in its fields of endeavor be it historic preservation, records management, service to the public, or archival management.
· The staff of the Archives has been reduced from a high of 126 to 27 which has eviscerated its programs and services.
· The Archives provides services to create economic development through creation of historic districts, the promotion of tourism and the preservation of the unique features of communities large and small.
· The Archives has statutory responsibilities for the management of the state and local government records that is critical for government operations and its accountability.
· The Archives has worked to maintain government records in a variety of formats from early records on paper and parchment through to electronic files.
· The Archives itself is a destination site for visitors interested in this state’s history.